Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Cheesy TV sparks new movement!

How's that for a cheesy headline? Ha! Anyway, the other night I am a little ashamed to admit that my perpetual channel surfing came to rest on the show "7th Heaven." It was a Christmas episode (GASP!).... and I watched it (shame). However, I even became a little emotional as every member of the Camden family spend Christmas day not with each other, but helping out at various charities, hospitals, etc. This was in leiu (sp) of gifts. Instead of spending money to buy each other presents that weren't necessary, they donated their money and their time to help people that weren't as fortunate on Christmas day. They passed out gifts at childrens' hospitals, among other things. Their church had even been setting aside money after collections and fundraisers in order to be able to financially assist one family for the ENTIRE upcoming year. So there were a lot of corny scenes in the course of the hour long episode, but it made me really think. I have been pretty upset this season because I am NOT in any place, financially, to be giving gifts. I have been really trying to come up with some meaningful gifts, but everything I want to get costs money. But what I DO have is time.. and especiallly on Christmas, when everyone takes time off ... there is a real need for people to help. So this christmas I am going to do what I can on Christmas to help someone else. And then try to follow that up by giving more of my time for the rest of the year... and the following year...
so... here's to using what we've got! (CHEERS!)

Ciao

No comments: