Monday, July 23, 2007

of loss and mourning

Well, this morning I said goodbye to a dear old friend.
We met through a mutual friend about 6 years ago. I can't say I was a great friend - ours was an on-gain, off-again relationship. But whenever we parted (and regardless of whose decision it was), there was always the knowledge that we would meet again. After a long parting, we met up again yesterday. Our final hours together were intense and intimate, triumphant and sorrowful. And alas, this morning we parted ways for the last time. We will always have our memories, and I'll be able to easily recall everything, as I have written documentation of every moment of our time together, but it will never be the same again. I am only slightly ashamed to admit that these last two days have been full of tears. There have been the welling eyes, the quiet spill-overs, the disjointed sobs, the quiet happy drops and the wracking, heaving bawling. It's so difficult to fathom the finality of the situation. There will be no more afternoons of peaceful heart-to-hearts, no more adventures, nothing. It's over. Finished. Done.

I will miss you, Harry Potter. I will miss the anticipation of the unknown, the adventures of you and your friends and family. I have enjoyed our journey together and am grateful to David and to Carly for introducing us. You can be assured that I will revisit our time together. Thank you for the joy and the sorrow and the escape (and vocabulary) you have provided to me throughout these past years.
Peace be with you, Harry.






**yes, I am well aware of just how pathetic I am.... but books touch me in ways I can't really explain.

2 comments:

Niki said...

I haven't read your new post yet because I don't want to know anything about the new book! But I am on chapter 13! I think I will feel sad when I am done... I hope she write something else, it doesn't have to be HP related.

Niki said...

Ok, I finished it last night! We should exchange some e-mails because I can't talk about the book until Eric is done and he's only on page 287... it's hard to not give anything away! Let's talk Harry Potter!