Monday, March 10, 2008

A bit of Boggerific Housekeeping

I would like to create a witty and clever post that will keep all who are reading on the edge of their seats and simultaneously rolling on the floor laughing. Unless, of course you're reading this on a chair that is afloat in a sea of hot lava.
But alas, I have not the time (or talent) to do that. So I'll resort to some cool things you should know.

1. Of all the "beef" a parent could have with their child's preschool, the fact that they're feeding your kid FRESH FRUITS and VEGETABLES should NOT be one of them!!!

2. Do you like to read? Do you appreciate immensely clever literature? If so, you should check out Jasper Fforde's (yeah, he's the guy who wrote The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy) Thursday Next series a shot! It took me a little bit to get into it, but by the 2nd book, I was more than hooked and I am SOOOO glad I kept reading, because it keeps getting better and better and better and better!

3. Be nice to the earth. Forget about Al Gore or polar ice caps or peanut butter covered platypuses - or whatever the latest craze is... and just be kind to the earth. I'm not very good at this, but I'm working on it. Canvas shopping bags are so much more comfortable to carry, and kind. All-natural cleaners smell better, are fun to make, and even fun to use (especially if you made them yourself) and are kind. Composting is intriguing - I'm learning more about it and getting ready to make my own! - and is kind. Gardening is cool - and kind. Recycling can be kind of a pain, but it DOES cut down on trash, which cuts down on our trash BILL! and it's kind. I've got some pretty awesome literature (and recipes) about natural cleaners and it's awesome! Maybe you want to have a cleaner-making party with me sometime? Let me know - it would be fun!

6. Be kind to each other. This is what I'm REALLY working on. Being ACTIVELY kind to others is a challenge, and I am a bit shy and have a hard time sticking my neck out there to be kind to others. But I'm working on it!

What are you up to these days?

5 comments:

rebecca marie said...

duuuude, i'm going green left and right. f'real tho.

you can come stir my compost anytime!

let's make cleaners, it would be awesome.

Jessica said...

Rebecca - let's do it!!! I'm kinda scared of composting, though... excited, but a bit scared.

Niki said...

I also took some time to get into the Jasper Fforde series. I loved the first two and now I'm stuck in the middle of the third which is appropriately named, "The Well of Lost Plots."

Oh, and Douglas Adams wrote "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy." Both British... Both Hilarious... easily confused!

Can we get your new address? You have my e-mail, right?

rebecca marie said...

don't be scared of composting! it's easy!

step one, put a bowl or bucket or something on your kitchen counter for organic non-meat scraps.

step two, put it in a pile in your yard.

done and done!

Jessica G said...

Niki: now that you say that (doug a), I totally knew that. What a dope (me, not you - or him, uh, them...). And the 3rd book was the most difficult for me, I think. I've got the 5th book on hold right now. I'm excited for it! Oh, and I just shot you an email w/the new address

Rebecca Marie: I've been reading about composting and am kinda worried about making sure it's layered right, and the carbon:nitrogen ratio and all that... but I DID get a bit ahead of myself and started my scrap bucket already. This weekend we're going down to MetroPaint to pick up a cheap compost bin...
And i'm totally working on getting a cleaner-making party! I'll keep you posted!