Thursday, July 03, 2008

Question Everything!!!

Man, I'm on a BloggerROLL! This is what, post 3 or 4 in just two days? Anyhow, I was just thinking about people we respect and how we react to them.
Let me back up just a tiny bit. I think that, as a society, and as "religious folk" in general, we are finally copping to our humanity - to our proclivity to make mistakes and behave rashly and not always have the answers. I love this. It's a very refreshing mindset. I'm not so sure, though, that the idea of that humanity has bled into how we view our "heroes." I have seen so many well-intentioned people take every single word and/or action taken by a person they respect and treat it as though it was sacred decree. They take on this ideal themselves in an attempt, I suppose to become a clone... or something.
Don't misunderstand - I'm not exempt from this. But I've been thinking a lot lately about how what I do affects others, and boy - there are quite a few things that I've done/said that I would HATE for someone to think I condone. This has served two purposes. I obviously need to be more intentional about what I do and say. It also reminds, me though, of something (I think) Paul said about questioning what was being taught - searching the scriptures to ascertain that what was being said/taught was, in fact, truth.
How questioning are we when it comes to a figure we respect. I can't help but draw some correlation between this and the upcoming elections here in the good ol' US of A. How much of what has been said by our favorite candidate have we just taken for truth? And how forgiving are we when these people say/do something they're not proud of?
I have very few answers, but I'm pretty sure if I were more questioning and prayerful I would be a whole lot better off.

No comments: