Thursday, June 14, 2007

love thy neighbor?

Yeah, so generally I'm all about that rule. I would love to just get along swimmingly (where did that term come from, anyway?!) with everyone in my neighborhood - I love neighborhoods like that. And generally I've been on pretty good terms with most of my neighbors. What a whopper we got this time, though. Without going into too much detail at the moment (due to time constraits only - not lack of detail, that's for sure), let me just tell you our neighbor is crazy. A lot of things have happened that I may or may not later recount to you via blog post (or in person if you'd like the full effect), but what I'd like to blog about now is what I was driven to do a couple of weeks ago.

After a particularly trying day at work, and and even more trying commute, I arrived home and as quickly as possible dashed from the car to the front door with my head down so as to avoid contact with anyone. I just wanted to get inside, pee, get a book and relax. No sooner had I kicked off my shoes and plopped down on the couch with said book when there is this pounding at the front door. Knowing full well who it was and deciding that I didn't have the capacity to be civil and kind and treat her in a way I would want to be treated, I ignored it. I quietly tiptoed into the bedroom, stretched out on the bed and opened my book again, preppared to emerse myself in the story when the pounding resumed, this time at the back door. Knowing she couldn't pound forever I began reading. Pretty soon the pounding stopped. Phew. But then... it was back. Not at the front door, not at the back door, but at my BEDROOM WINDOW!!!! Now, I was stretched out on my stomach facing away from the window... and I'm pretty sure she was able to see me through the crack in the blinds. Do I care? No. Surely if she sees me laying (lying?) in bed she will cease this overtly rude pounding. Right? WRONG. She moved on to the spare room window, the living room window, the front door and then the back door before finally huffing off. I have never felt so trapped in my own house before! By the time she came to the back door, I thought "ya know, this might be urget, maybe I should go see what she wants" But then she came to the bedroom window and all nice thoughts left.

Turns out Shaun had put some laundry in the dryer that morning and forgot to take them out before he left.

Maybe I was being too harsh?
But pounding on my windows?!?!

How do you deal with particularly difficult "neighbors?"


**every single time I typed the word "neighbor" or "neighborhood" (even those two times!) I put an extra "O" after the "b" (or before the "r"). Won't YOU be my neighboor?

3 comments:

sarah said...

OOOOOh, I just have such a hard time with neighbors right now. I would totally have opened up the door and yelled what is wrong with you!
Our neighbor just got out of school. a week before everyone because he's in kindergarten, he also is a bit slower than most. He rang my doorbell in the middle of nap time repeatedly until i answered. Then the next morning at like 8:30! I was very stern with him and it hasn't happened since. Maybe you should pretend she is a very irritating girl in your class and deal with her as such.

Jessica said...

ha ha Sarah! I would love to deal with her like that - she's just so - AHHH!
I think one of the worst parts is that she's like 50+ and I don't think she has any idea that she is so obnoxious and annoying and ridiculously insane. It would be funny if it weren't so sad. Her best friends are her 4 cats.

Katrina said...

boor /bʊər/
–noun 1. a churlish, rude, or unmannerly person.


Sounds like a "neigboor" is exactly what you have! I hope you are able to iron things out between you and get some peace!