Thursday, November 03, 2005

what is beautiful?

I was listening to the radio this morning and one of the hosts of a morning show said something about it being a beautiful Thursday morning when he was immediately interrupted and told that it was, in fact, NOT a beautiful day - "do you see any sun out there?" was her scold. My thought was this: what makes a day beautiful? Because to me, today - with all it's rain and clouds - has a calming, serene, cleansing quality about it. It makes me happy - and I think it's beautiful. So many people see this as gloom. I am the person who wakes up on a late June morning and wants to cry because instead of the cloudy rainy sky I see bright sunshine and know that I will spend the next three months fighting the relentless heat of the sun.
So, what makes a day beautiful? Well, you know the perfect little Sunday-school answer to that. But REALLY - what makes a day beautiful? Is it the weather? Perhaps a good friend? A bonus on your paycheck? A short work day? No homework? A relaxing day in the city? A refreshing adventure in nature?
For me, a nice crisp Autumn day...meeting a good friend for breakfast, then taking a trip downtown by myself. Roaming the expanse of Central library searching for some elusive knowledge, then relaxing with yummy coffee and maybe a bread bowl full of steaming deliciousness and of course a couple of good books. Watching people scurry by the window braced against the biting wind. Listening to the conversations at table nearby and imagining the lifes of others. Enjoying the art on the walls... Ah... just thinking about that makes me very.... content.
But what if I am never again able to experience that? Would there be any hope of a beautiful day then? Is there any way for me to make those horridly HOT summer days "beautiful?" Or for the normal person to make gloomy winter days beautiful? Perhaps it's not the weather we need to look to, but ourselves. Yeah, that's it. Am I going to make today a beautiful day? I think so.

1 comment:

tabitha jane said...

it's all in the state of mind babe.