Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Technology....

Well, at around 1:30 or 2am on the first day of our calendar year I sat in bed and blogged. I blogged my little heart out. I blogged of the three days of Christmas that I briefly mentioned, I blogged of our adventures in Colorado, of the crazy funk the New Year seemed to bring... I blogged funny anicdotes (sp?) and some serious ponderings. And it's gone. All gone. Wiped out. How? I have no clue.
But it is no more and I must not dwell on the past. cursed technology.

Sort of off topic, I have gone to see a few movies during my stay here. I have seen The Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, and Memoirs of a Geisha.
How do you feel about reading books v. watching movies? Let me rephrase: do you read the book first or watch the movie first?
I LOVE to read. I have always held firm to the idea that I need to read the book before I see the movie. And I have, for the most part, done so. Yet as I was sitting in the theater watching dear Harry and his pals with my husband (who has only seen the movies) I realized that he could pick up the book and be completely enthralled with a seemingly new story. Now, the movie was actually pretty good. But there is SO much more in the book - too much, in fact, to put it all in the movie. So I began to really think about how I do things... would it, in fact, be more enjoyable to see the movie, get the basic plot line, and then read the book and devour all the sub plots and depth of characters that a good book has to offer? Or would knowing the end of the story completely ruin it?
Also, there is the imagination. I LOVE reading a book and creating it all in my mind. Watching the movie first would eliminate my ability to do that....

I am still pretty far from making up my mind.
What do you think?

2 comments:

tabitha jane said...

i knew it was your birthday because it said so on myspace . . . under your picture in "my friends" section . . . :) sneaky huh?

tabitha jane said...

and in response to your post, i think that reading the book first is great! then you know all of the back story and little bits of info that the movie doesn't have time to refer to. also, you get to experience the original artist/author's work before seeing what someone else did when they took that story line and adapted it to a film. especially with books like harry potter or the lord of the rings, there is SOOOO much more in the books than they could ever have gotten into the films and some things that they totally changed (esp in lotr) in order to make the movie work better . . . um, but i'm not going to judge someone who doesn't read the books first. i didn't read the lotr before seeing the movies . . .