Monday, March 05, 2007

Dear Church,

Please do not label me. Do not put me into one of your "categories" in order to "properly" minister to me. Yes, I am a Young Adult - I am just 2 years out of college and am still figuring out this whole adult thing. Yes, I am a Young Married. It's been just over a year and a half and again, I am still figuring out this whole wife thing. Yes, I am a woman. I DO have a vagina and wacked out emotions and I cry for no reason and I like feeling loved and I'm still sorting out the stupid hormonal thing. Yes, I am a "mature christian." I chose to follow Christ nearly 14 years ago... and I am still figuring this whole devoted life thing out. Yes, I am a teacher... I spend many days, evenings, and even weekends trying my darnest to be a good example and to learn from those little ones who have so many things to teach ME. And I'm still figuring that out. Yes, I am a 20 something. I still enjoy doing goofy weird, juvenile things. Yes, I am an old lady. I love Jeopardy and crossword puzzles and crocheting and Sudoku. Yes, I am a pet-owner. I have a precious bunny and she depends on me, and I love her with all my hear, yet I'm still tyring to figure her out. I am child-less. My life is not consumed by diapers and bottles and play-dates.
I am all of those things, and more. Yet, those things do not define me - or the person I strive to be. How can I learn to be a good mother, if for those who have been successful in that area? How can I become a better wife if I don't have the example and advice of a veteran married couple? How can I grow at all, when this box you've put me in is so small?
Please, take a note from Jesus's life, his ministry - meet me where I am, all of you - and let God speak to me through YOU.... through your life and trials and victories, your eyes and your heart, even if - ESPECIALLY if - you're not in the same place in your life as I am in mine. I need that from you. Christ set up this amazing way for FAMILIES of believers to be that support to each other. I need your support, not your label. I am trying to do that for you, as well. Please let me.
Thank You

No comments: