Friday, April 27, 2007

Day of the Dead

My cousin Derick was buried today. I'm not sure what to do with that. It's not the first time I've buried a family member. My general thought on death is that it is simply a part of life. I understand being sad and missing a loved one, but I am comfortable with death. I have been to 5 funerals in my life, the first one I remember being when I was only 5. I've even spoken at a funeral. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that death is not a foreign or removed concept. I have never been as rocked by a death than I was on Tuesday morning. Late Monday night, Derick Thomas died. While 4-wheeling, his vehicle got stuck and while trying to free it, Derick was crushed. He was 17. In the middle of restoring a 1970 mustang, a month away from graduation and planning to go to culinary school. Not anymore.
It still doesn't seem very real to me. I wasn't too terribly close to him... I just keep remembering him as a small child. Now that small child is dead. werid.
It really is the unexpected deaths that hurt the most.

No comments: