Thursday, April 19, 2007

do i really have to title this?

Alright, so I am, admittedly overanalytical. That is who I am. I over think things ALL the time. I am also paranoid. For a few years now I have been trying out a new tacic - keeping my mouth shut. I find that when I don't share ALL of my thoughts, people like me better. Do with that what you will. Then blogging came along and I indulged. It is the perfect medium through which I can share all my thoughts. But I don't. Why? Well, partially out of laziness and partially because I don't want to be "that" blogger. Every once in a while I will put something out there and it will flop. It doesn't help that I have about 2 inconsistent readers. Maybe if I put some words in here that will lure people into my trap.. Hmmm what's big now?
President Bush?
Brittany Spears?
Sanjaya?
Border Control?
Virginia Tech Massacre?
The Wiggles?
Yoga?
Don't get me wrong, I do have something to say about each of those things... but I have gotten waaaaay off topic. I came here to talk about a trend I have noticed and can't help but wonder the ramifications.
So here it is: People have become incredibly private and very stingy with their company. Time has become a very precious commodity. I know many people who are trying to do right by their families. In order to form strong bonds between their children and themselves they cordon off their evenings and weekends for "family time." And I get it. When thinking about how I would manage my time when I have children, that is in fact one of the things I had thought about - using the evenings and weekends to spend time with each other. However, I can't help but wonder if that practice will prove detrimental to the next generation of society. We have seen a lot of the parents who do everything for their kids and give them whatever they want are rewarded by having full fleged adult children living with them for ever and ever.
My thought is that perhaps spending family time ONLY with family will not provide a model for social interaction. Sure there's school, but it's a whole different situation there. I am a home-body, but we spent a lot of time at other people's houses, and having other people to our house, so I know what to do. I remember learning at an early age what things were not appropriate when we had company or were out at a friend's house.
I have always felt like I had all these great ideas about how my family would be - and I still, do, but the more I really think about the long-term consequences, I have to really give kudos to the old school parents. There are a few things that still make me cringe a little, but I think they know a lot more than I've given them credit for.
Mom, Rick, if you've found your way over here, thanks! I really appreciate my upbringing. you done good.

thus endeth this web log entry

4 comments:

Katrina said...

I think you're right. Back in the "good old days", family time was often spent participating in community oriented activities, whether that meant church, county fairs, school plays, or just sitting out on your porch chatting up neighbors who walked by ('cause everybody walked a lot back then, too; I think I remember that, anyway.) Now people are a lot more closed off and "mind your own business" oriented. There are probably lots of reasons for this, a combination of busy-ness and self-centeredness and fear of involvement, but it's definitely sad.

(You just let those thoughts out! That's what blogging's for, right?) :)

sarah said...

one thing that I really love about central oregon is that the pace of life is slower. I think that it makes it easier to do just what you're saying. when adam was working full time and i was going to school i felt like we couldn't have people over and i certainly didn't have time to go to other peoples house, we were just busy. furthermore whatever free time i had i felt like i should spend with my kiddos.

i think that theres a lot to be said about living in community with others. we live very differently now, not close to family always, not close to work or church. we have separated our community into a thousand tiny pieces that don't really constitute a true community like it used to.

I'm not sure what to make of this but adam and i are the only parents that we ever see outside actually playing with their kids. I think the other parents may be hermits. or perhaps the sun would melt their skin. I can't figure it out.

Jessica said...

Thanks, Katrina!

That's a whole 'nother issue, Sarah... I'm all for the working parent, but if your work makes it so that you refuse to spend time outside with your kids...
also there is a HUGE lack of quality outside time. But I suppose that is a rant for a new blog someday.
Thanks for stoppin' by!

Anonymous said...

I read your blog Jessica! It's just that lately I've had a lot of problems with signing in. I'll try my blogger account and my google account and for some reason it doesn't accept my password *sigh*

I've noticed that since Eric and I have been married we've been going through phases. At first we wanted to spend a lot of time together, but when we were ready to hang out with our friends we were so used to being secluded that going out didn't feel comfortable anymore. And we both grew up with large families so we knew what it was like to have company and be company.

My problem is that I feel like I am moving on from many relationships that I cherrish. And not just because I am actually moving out of the state. I have a cousin that I grew up with who lives in Texas now with her husband and new baby. Our babies will probably not grow up together and this makes me sad.

But back to what you were talking about... we say that the world is a small place, connected with the world wide web and airplanes, but in America it isn't abnormal if you don't know your neighborhood, or even your roommate. We just accept that everyone wants to mind their own business. My solution: More potlucks! And more Jesus!

(This is Niki... I still can't sign in... grrrr)