Saturday, May 12, 2007

Babies

Yes, I have babies on the brain. Not that I want one - or any right now, really. But I can no longer ignore the baby crazy. I just counted, and I know at least 22 people who are either prego or have just recently given birth. Wow. Am I just totally missing something here? I am reminded of a telephone conversation I had with my mother my Sophomore year of college. I was so frustrated with the world because my whole group of friends had turned into wedding zombies. I suppose that's not entirely accurate. It wasn't all about weddings at that point... it was all about the significant other. Boyfriends and girlfriends became the primary recipient of all attention. It sucked. I remember relaying this to my mom one particular weekend night when I had been once again ditched in favor of searching for "the one" and was just fed up. I was, of course, expecting some comforting words - perhaps an invitation to drive home and hang out/do something cool that weekend. (looking back, i'm not sure WHY i expected any of that...). Instead I got the "hey, that's life. You're at the age when most people are finding that person, etc. etc. Hey, when I was your age I had a 3 yr old daughter"
Of course all I heard was "what kind of freak isn't out trying to get some on a Friday night." Now, I know that's not what she said - OR what she meant and after I had some time to calm down I was able to realize that it was actually a bit of a blessing, because while everyone else was away I had some great undistracted time to actually get some school work done. And then once I fully resigned to the fact that I was going to be an old spinster (actually, I think i was planning on opening a CoC nunnery at the time), I met Shaun that same year, and... well - here we are.

So here I am four years later and NOW all the people around me are obsessed not with the latest club or attracting the opposite sex, but cribs and baby clothes and finding out the sex of the microscopic parasite that lives within.
Now, I've gotten way past bitter... I'm just baffled. I know I know I will never understand until I have my own. I get that. When you have a life inside of you, growing and forming and completely dependent upon you -it's terrifying and exciting and wonderful, et al. What I don't get is the drive. Perhaps my biological clock runs on solar power or something else that you don't find in Oregon. I see a lot of people who try and try and try (and in some cases succeed, succeed, succeed) to make babies because it makes them feel needed. Or because they like babies. Come on! Really? How screwy of a society can we create?
I am realizing that this blog sounds VERY bitter and angry.... that's not my intent. I'm curious. I love kids as much as the next guy - girl, whatever. I love to feel needed and wanted and all that jazz. But... is it fair to bring a new life into this already-pretty-populated world for my own selfish reasons? What do I have to give to this kid? Am I at a point where I can - and WANT to - do this? Yeah, you can argue that noone is ever ready, but... *sigh* I just don't get it.

You are making your own choices and I am OK with that. You be the best parent you can be. That's all anyone can ever ask. I don't hate parents. I don't hate kids. I suppose my biggest "beef" is this: just because you're a parent doesn't mean you are better than me. Just because I haven't popped out a kid doesn't mean I don't know anything. It doesn't mean we no longer have anything in common.

Don't write me off because you have squirted a little animal out of your body. Please.

Maybe I'll get myself one of these:

1 comment:

tabitha jane said...

that thing looks gross. like a featherless chicken or something